Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Ballad Of The Long Hair And The Short Hair by Yehudah Amichai Translated by Orna Raz

Today we no longer write poems about wars, heroism or the women who wait at home. But as we are in a midst of a depressing war here in Israel, I find this poem, by the Israeli poet Yehudah Amichai, about another war-- the Israeli Independence war (1948), powerful and sad. I hope that it works  in English


The ballad of the long hair and the short hair by Yehudah Amichai
Translated by Orna Raz

His hair was shaven  when he got into the camp
Her hair remained long with no answer
“I can’t hear you in this growing noise”
You long hair, my girl, my short hair

Throughout the summer flowers practiced blooming,
Inside the patient earth as they built their strength .  
 “I returned to you, but was not the same.”
Your long hair, my love, my short hair
  
The wind broke the tree, the tree broke the wind  
They had many options and very little time to rest
 “It’s raining, come home quick”
Your long hair, my girl, your short hair

The world became for them, an indirect speech.
Doesn’t touch them, slowly they began to sing
 “I set my watch when are you coming back?”
Your long hair, my girl, your short hair
..
Then they fell silent, like distant steps
The sky opened, the book of laws closed
“What  are you saying, and what are you?”
Your long hair, my girl, your short hair

.

No comments:

Post a Comment